Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Smirk Inducing & Contagious Ideas: Coconut Records



















Red lights as far ahead as I can see in a gloomy day on the I-5 headed into lovely Sun Valley California. I look at my dashboard clock to see another 5 minutes had passed making a total of 95. I should easily pass triple digits at this rate and the real bonus was each minute from this point would total how late I was for my 2 o'clock meeting.

As I took another deep breathe of the thick east Los Angeles air, I thought to change the channel to SIRIUS Chill to help maintain a safe blood pressure. Just before I hit the channel button, I heard the DJ come on to segway into the next song. His annoyed tone of voice immediately related to my current mood; so he had my attention. Apparently, the dj was quite surprised to hear that the singer and founder of the band Coconut Records had been personally bringing in boxes of his new CD to the L.A. Amoeba Records. He remarked that since the guy was a former member of the semi successful band Phantom Planet, that surely he could find a FEDEX number to use instead. I think he even threw in a "come on, man" to put the cherry on top of his rant. He then went into the song "West Coast" by Coconut Records which transported me from the sea of red brake lights to some cool, relaxing place somewhere out by Pacific Coast Highway. The song at that moment in time was mesmerizing. As it ended, I saw the brilliance in the singers efforts.

By taking the box of CDs to the store himself, he made the day of the owner, workers, and customers who may have witnessed it as those are the fans of what he does—make and sell music. They were so touched by it, they went on to tell their buddies, co worker, family, etc. It worked a chain of contacts through town until it reached the DJ in LA who worked for SIRIUS satellite radio who then ranted about it to the whole country, maybe more. This rant reached me which made me pay closer attention to a song I had never heard by a band I didn't know. I have since bought the song on itunes and added it to my myspace page. It's amazing what can happen if we just do something really personal and special to our closes fans. 

No comments: